Chocolate rocky road treat
Here is an easy no-cook recipe that you can make with your children this Easter. It should only take around 20 minutes, plus time for chilling.
- 250g digestive biscuits
- 100 g butter, cut in pieces
- 2 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 100g mini marshmallows
- 100 g bar milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 80g smarties (2 small tubes)
- Butter and line the base of cake tin that’s around 20cm x 20cm. Crush the biscuits by putting in a strong plastic bag and bashing with a rolling pin to make crumbs, but keeping some small chunky pieces of biscuit too so you have a contrast of textures. Put the butter, cocoa and syrup in a medium saucepan and warm through over a medium heat, stirring occasionally. As soon as the butter has melted, remove from the heat then stir in the biscuits and marshmallows.
- Tip the mixture into the cake tin and level the surface. Chill for about 2 hours, or overnight, to firm up.
- Break the chocolate into squares then blitz in the microwave, give it around one minute then 20 seconds at a time stirring in between so it doesn’t get hot spots and burn. Or you can melt the chocolate over simmering water in a heatproof bowl.
- Remove the cake from the cake tin and peel off the lining paper. Lay the cake on a serving plate or board. Pour then spread the chocolate over the cake. Scatter over the smarties and leave briefly for the chocolate to set. Cut into slices.
This will keep well in the fridge. A little goes a long way!